Sunday, June 12, 2011

That was then, this is now

I made it to Yokosuka! No lost luggage, no delayed flights (for my group, anyway), no major hassles. Roughly fifteen of us met at SFO in the wee hours of the morning, with visions of a two hour flight, a five hour layover, and an eleven hour flight dancing in our heads. Throughout the day I realized how long it had been since I’d flown on an airplane, because so much has changed since the last major trip I took (2008?) It seemed like the airline provided lot more choice for me to keep myself occupied during the flight (which, I believe, is the longest I’ve ever sat still for one period of time. My ankles were swollen by the end of the flight, because so much blood had pooled there. Yum.)

For me, the differences in flight experiences were so drastic I decided to create a little installment called “That was then, this is now,” comparing the last time I flew to my journey yesterday. You people who fly all the time may not be impressed, but I thought it was pretty cool.

That was then                                                         This is now
The flight safety info session was presented by average-looking flight attendants on video screens dispersed randomly throughout the airplane, where everyone had to crane their necks to see anything.
We each had our own individual screens, on which we viewed supermodel-looking flight attendants who waved their finger in a “no-no” fashion while they told us there was no smoking allowed on the airplane.
I sat next to my family members throughout my trip, who made relatively normal commentary about the flight.
I sat next to a dude who told me (with a little grin on his face) that the finger-waving, supermodel flight attendant was his favorite part of the safety video. (Who has a favorite part of the safety video??)
Everyone had to watch the same movie on those awkwardly placed video screens.
On our own little screens, we got to pick what movies we wanted to watch. And not just random movies you’ve never heard of. I’m talking Harry Potter 7, Tangled (watched it for you, Rach!), The Tourist, Black Swan, etc. Luh-git!
The pilot informed us of our altitude, our ETA, and the current time at our destination.
Our little screens not only had movies, music, and games, but they also allowed us to follow the plane at any time, explore a world map, and see where in the world it was night and day.
Clark Kent went into a telephone booth to become Superman.
I went into an airplane bathroom to change into my incredibly good-looking camp uniform. (See picture below.)


After arriving in Yokosuka, we went through immigration and customs (those dudes are tough! “Where are you going? Are you military? Do you have orders?” Just let me through intimidating man! I’m innocent! [And sweating profusely because you scare me!]) And then we waited 2.5 hours for a plane with a group from Iowa to arrive. We got to explore the airport mall, take lots of pictures, and look very much like tourists. (You know how you see packs of Japanese tourists in SF, all in matching outfits and stopping every two feet to take pictures? Yeah, that was us. Irony.) We observed Japanese children and commented on how we wanted to take them home with us (it wasn’t just me, JL, I swear!) They run around everywhere! Playing tag, jumping in place, running in and out of the bathroom. They literally do not stop moving. No wonder everyone is Japan is so thin.

Once everyone arrived, we had a two hour bus ride to the base (I didn’t know the Japanese drove on the left side of the road!), where we received our orders (I have them now, immigration man!) and got all our passports checked by a navy dude. Yes, that was his official title. After receiving our room assignments, we all conked out. I’d been awake for 27 hours. Now off to shower, buy food with my special Commissary privileges, and get a tour of the base.

Missing everyone at home, hope you’re all doing well!

UPDATE: Just went to the Commissary with a group, and we all had to show our orders to get in. There was also a sign telling us that gym clothes were not allowed in the store. Welcome to military life.
Plastic displays of food outside restaurants
Japanese Vending Machine! (Why don't we have flowers in ours??)
My First Yen!

  
    EDIT: Part of the internet here is in Japanese, and I accidentally deleted the original posting of this! (I was trying to edit that parenthesis Rach!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment