Monday, June 6, 2011

The Adventure Begins

What do you do after four years of studying the history, culture and politics of Latin America, obtaining a B.A. in International Relations, and becoming nearly fluent in Spanish? 

Go to Japan, of course.

Back in November, my roommate JK forwarded me an email about a program that placed college students at summer camps on US military bases abroad. Working with kids? Opportunities for international travel on the weekends? Sign me up, please! Eight months later, after interviews, singing an insane amount of camp songs (you know you secretly like them, you non-camp people!), and learning lots about military culture, I'm off to the Yokosuka Naval Base in southeast Japan. Three months of lifeguarding, teaching swim lessons to children of US Navy personnel, and seeing all I can see of Japanese culture--it's going to be quite the experience (and I'm sure all my Spanish will come in handy!)

This blog is my attempt at recording my adventures for the next three months, and hopefully whatever comes my way after that time. Credit to MC for encouraging me to write a blog, and creating the ever-so-clever title. So, if you're at all interested, feel free to read my stories as I drift about in the post-college "real world."

1 comment: