Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No Themes, Just Thoughts

  • I found out the other day that I’m working with a member of Japan’s 2004 Olympic triathlon team. Cool, right? Yeah, her sister was also 4th in the 400 IM during the same Olympics.
  • During a break, we were looking at a map of the US. One of the Japanese staff pointed at Kansas and asked us how to pronounce it (“can-sas”). He then pointed to Arkansas and asked the same question (“are-can-saw”). “Why are they different?” English is weird.
  • I saw my first Tokyo drag race (we won’t mention that it was in Yokosuka, right off base, and not in Tokyo). I felt like a gangster.
  • Speaking of gangsters, we found out that in Japan tattoos are considered to be a sign of gang membership. Any tattoo. They have hot springs just for people with tattoos. Crazy.
  • When I asked one of my Japanese coworkers where we should go in Tokyo, he told us “Hooters.”
  • Masa (a Japanese lifeguard) was teaching me Japanese phrases today. He wanted to learn Spanish from me: “You speak Spanish?” “Yes.” “Hasta la vista, baby.”
  • Our breaks in the lifeguard room are filled with repetitions of basic Japanese phrases and handy devices to remember them. I wonder what the Japanese word for “gringo” is.
    • I’m also fairly sure some of the Japanese staff are messing with us.
  • I learned how to count to 10 in Japanese! And the pattern for saying numbers up to 99. This is from a reputable source.
  • While completing a team building exercise involving animal noises, we realized that animals make different noises in different countries.
  • From the 45 to the top of the hour, we have a pool break for patrons 15 and under. When I reopened the pool after one of these breaks, a little boy ran up and hugged me.  If only  all other joys in life were achieved this simply.
  • Today at the gym, a girl asked me if I knew where the head was. I did. (Head is navy speak for “bathroom.”)

No comments:

Post a Comment